Thursday, April 15, 2010

Print at IKEA

Over a year ago I received a phone call from a company asking to license an image of mine for print production. I was in the process of moving to the Philippines and all my files were on a slow ocean going freighter and I said I would get back with them when I got set up again.

My computers with the files showed up but by that time I was busy adjusting to a new environment and forgot about it. Six months later one night on a bus in Manila I got a call from them again about the image. They were so anxious to get the license they offered a $1000.00 advance against royalties and I figured what the heck.

We agreed to go ahead with this, I signed a contract and the process began. Finally after close to eight months, last week the image is on sale at IKEA stores world wide.

The reception of the image in the first week has been overwhelming. I have received numerous emails from people telling me how much they like the photograph, how good it looks on their wall and asking where it was taken. People are asking about ordering prints of other images on my website.

I feel very lucky right now and excited. Here is the image. It was photographed in Northern Vietnam near the Chinese border.

11 comments:

  1. I love this photo. I just posted it on my blogg.Keep up the god work!

    Best regards from Norway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son saw this in IKEA and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately it's too large for his room (he's ready to put it on the ceiling though!). He has recently struck up an interest in photography and I hope that he too can have a similar story to you one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I cant wait to buy mine! Everytime I go to Ikea I see people saying very good comments about this picture. It is absolutely beautiful, Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm headed to Vietnam at the end of the year and would love to be able to find this bridge. Do you happen too know it's exact location?

    Cheers,

    QVT

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm falling in love of this picture !!! it 's a wonderfull photography !!
    sincerely

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job skip! I wonder whether you can tell me the resolution and ppi for a photo like this?
    Obviously it was extremely big when I saw it and yet remained perfectly sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We just blogged about assembling our new PREMIÄR ;-)

    Well, but we love your image!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In an Ikea in Florida, there were three people (including myself) standing, staring at this photo. Also, two of us struck up a conversation about it. It's breathtaking a real eye catcher. We spent 6 mos in Costa Rica and wanted something to pay homage. Close enough. LOL ... Love it! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Skip I absolutely love this print. I was wondering if you it is available as a digital copy. I would like to create a full size wall cling that gets put right on the wall so it looks like it is painted on. I have a printer that said they would be willing to do it but I need to get your ok and get the rights to reprint it. What would you charge for something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Skip I absolutely love this print. I was wondering if you it is available as a digital copy. I would like to create a full size wall cling that gets put right on the wall so it looks like it is painted on. I have a printer that said they would be willing to do it but I need to get your ok and get the rights to reprint it. What would you charge for something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tim I know this is EXTREMELY late but I am just now receiving comments for my blog. I have no idea why they were not there before. If you are still interested yes the image digital file is available.

    ReplyDelete